Background

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

Ohhh... I love thanksgiving! It's weird because I really am not a fan of turkey but it's one of my favorite days because of the food!
This Thanksgiving was extremely low key. Usually my mom invites her friends, and my brother brings his girlfriend, but tonight, it was just me, my mom, my brother, and my step-dad. It was actually a really nice, intimate get together and I had so much fun!

This year, my mom was not in the mood to get up early to put the turkey in the oven so she ordered it from her golf club. Unfortunately, it came with stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce. I say unfortunately because my favorite part of Thanksgiving is looking for and cooking the Thanksgiving side dishes! It's OK though because I made some other killer sides!


1.The Turkey- As my step-dad was slicing the turkey, we all got excited because it looked so beautiful and it was oozing juices! To my disappointment, when I took a bite, I professed, "yeah, it's just turkey." I guess I'm just not a turkey-girl.


2. Roasted Curried Pumpkin- I had to make a kabocha side dish because it has been my obsession these past few chillier months! This one was killer... the spicy, warm, curry spices goes perfect with the sweet kabocha.


3. Peas and Proscuitto- Mad props to Giada for this awesome recipe! I made this a few months back and was amazed at how delicious simple peas can be!


4. Nasty Stuffing (Pre-Makeover)- My mom and I opened the foil container to this nasty looking chunky blocks of stuffing. I proposed that we give this poor little thing a makeover. After some chicken stock, raisins, chestnuts, and walnuts...

Bam! It was quite good. The consistency was a little nasty and pasty but the flavor was good!


5. Broccoli Raab and Spinach with Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes- We adapted this recipe from Martha's Hearty Garlic Greens. This was a nice and refreshing side dish!

All in all, this was a great Thanksgiving. I mean, I got to spend it with my family in a very intimate setting. We even played like 20 games of Seven Bridge!! And who was the winner? Me. Yup :-)


Oh, and F.Y.I. don't even think there wasn't any dessert. I'm dedicating a whole 'nother post for dessert. It was that good!

No comments: