Background

Friday, September 11, 2009

The Bittersweet Post

I wonder how Hayashi Rice (Rice) feels. Hayashi Raisu is a well-know, beloved Japanese dish, that is often over-looked by many restaurants. Hayashi Rice is the equivalent of the hearty American Beef Stew. It is thick, rich, chunky, and satisfying. Sound familar? It also sounds like it could be Karei Raisu (Curry Rice). Restaurants in Japan frequently have Karei Raisu on their menu, but what about Hayashi Raisu? It's always Curry, Curry, Curry... Poor Hayashi Rice.

However, the thing that makes Hayashi Raisu so special (at least to me) is just what makes it so sad. You usually only have it at home, made by your mother or grandmother! It is almost the epitome of Japanese home cooking.

Excerpt From The Hayashi Raisu Chronicle: Am I not as good as my brother, Karei Raisu, to be openly and publicly loved and devoured? My life is so bittersweet.

I'm sorry, Hayashi Raisu, but my brain may have developed a neural synapse that tells me that you will make a guy break up with me. So, this is also a bittersweet post because it was also the last meal that I cooked for that guy. Remember him?

The method for making Hayashi Raisu is identical to making Karei Raisu. Another reason to wonder, "Why am I not good enough?!"


Here's the boxed roux.

Chop up the veggies.

Sautée with cubed meat.

Add enough water to cover the meat and veg and simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies and meat are at the desired consistency. (I had to take out the veggies and cook the meat for longer because I used really tough beef round :-P)

Turn off the heat and add the roux. Stir, mix, go crazy until there are no roux chunks left!

BAM!


Oh... you nasty plate of deliciousness. I.HATE.YOU.

No comments: