Background

Saturday, April 17, 2010

California, Day Two: San Francisco

We walked everywhere so we rationalized why it was OK to eat everything. On Day 2, my first goal was to eat at Assab Eritrean Restaurant. We found it after walking what felt like forever, but it wasn't open for lunch! No worries. This is San Francisco. I trusted that we would find some other kind of ethnic delicious food.

By chance, only a few blocks down, we came across Pot de Pho. My first time eating Pho!
The restaurant was really modern looking and cool. The food was really good as well! "Organic, house-made noodles"... yum!

We started off with the Fresh Roll filled with shrimp and pork.


I got the Phở Bò Tái which is rare beef steak pho... omg heavenly.

It was so incredibly flavorful, and it came with these fresh toppings!


Tiny got the Bánh Xèo which is a crepe filled with shrimp, chicken, squid, and bean sprouts. Damn, how did I miss out of Vietnamese food for this long?!


We walked around a bit more, did nature stuff, and BAM. It started raining so we went back to the hotel. One hour later, we were out again trekking to Zuni Cafe.

One of the best meals in california!

The restaurant is super cute and cool. We were seated right next to the open kitchen so we saw all the action! It was the first time me and Tiny sat on the same side of a table. It was cute.

It was really simple food where they showed up great tasting ingredients such as:

The Ricotta Gnocchi

Caesar Salad

And the famous "Roasted Chicken for 2 with Bread Salad" (sorry for the ugly flash photo... it was getting dark!)...

I thought it was kinda silly to order the roasted chicken cuz how good can chicken be? But my friend said that I HAD to try it, (and I read how good it was) so I tried it. Can I just say first the chicken is really good. It was moist and very flavorful. But no offense Zuni, the bread salad was the knockout! Chewy, crusty bread toasted, thrown together with a salad with olive oil, vinegar, pine nuts, chicken stock? Im guessing the ingredients, but it can be found in the Zuni cookbook.

**Oh wait! This website has the recipe and some info on the chef Judy Rodgers!

My next mission is to make the most awesome bread salad and open people's eyes to a delicious side dish. It really just sounds like croutons and salad, but the way the bread soaks up the liquid is unreaaaaalllllll!!!!!

Pot de Pho
3300 Geary Boulevard (at Parker Avenue)
San Francisco, CA 94118
Phone: (415)-668–0826

Zuni Cafe
1658 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (415)-552-2522

No comments: