Background

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas, Japanese Style

My family and I were quite unsure of what we were gonna do for Christmas because of the mess in the house. I LOVE Christmas and having family dinners and such so when my mom was not up for doing anything, I was Debbie Downer. However, last minute, my mom took action and turned it around!

Christmas Eve was a Tomaru-Family go to celebration night at Kalbi House. We love it there, as I have subtly mentioned before.

Christmas Day was at Amanda's apartment. Amanda, if you were wondering, is my brother's girlfriend. We had Thanksgiving at her parents house.

Amanda's apartment is amazinnnnng!! It's funky, colorful, and super-cute!! She really did an amazing job of using space efficiently!


So, being Japanese, Christmas meals have no boundaries in my mind. For a few years, we did Temaki Sushi. We sometimes did a Nabe (Hot Pot). We've done Ham and Collared Greens. We've done everything. For 2009, we did Sukiyaki. Sukiyaki is a kind of hot pot with sliced beef, tofu, shirataki, and vegetables, simmered in a soy sauce based soup. You then dip the goods in raw egg! RAW EGG IS AMAZING! But make sure you get fresh, local, organic eggs. All ingredients can be bought at Daido! My favorite Japanese supermarket in Westchestahhhhhh...

To make it extra special, we used super good, super-fatty Rib-Eye (sliced thin) and Pork (sliced thin):


Veggies (Hakusai, Negi, Shiitake):


Veggies (Shimeji), Tofu, and Scallops (my mom actually just pan fried these with butter, soy sauce, and ginger.... omg):


The Big Ole' Stone Pot:


Then we get started. It's quick, fun, interactive, and delicious... not to mention healthy!

The bunch- Mom, Kyuta, Amanda, Amanda's Dad, Amanda's Mom


My brother was in charge of keeping the Nabe full because he was the closest:

(BTW... that eggplant, my mom cooked first on the Teppanyaki [griddle] and then put in the pot... I loveeeeee eggplant!)

Finally... fill your little bowls with whatever you want, stir the egg...



Eat, Enjoy, Repeat!

Kalbi House (Yelp)
291 Central Ave
White Plains, NY 10606
Phone: 914-328-0251

No comments: