Background

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Birthday (to me) and Happy Mother's Day!

Today, we celebrated my birthday (which is actually May 15th) and mother's day! My mom cooked fabulous Japanese food and we were joined by Luke and his mom (who is also a fabulous cook!).

What a gorgeous day it was huh? It was like 80 degrees, not humid, and sunny! I started off my day with a 2 mile run (9 minute miles!) and a massage.... mmmmmmm.... I finally pampered myself!

Then, the best part. The food. I cannot explain to people how much I love food! I work at Equinox as a Personal Trainer, and people are almost surprised to hear that I "love" food. Can't I love food and be fit?!

So here it goes. I did indulge. Lots of food, a lot of the dishes were quite healthy. Lots of dessert, both of which were not healthy but I must say they were BANGIN!

My mom always puts out little snacky things before the meal. Today's was this:

Cooked Chestnuts, Cheese, and a Peanut-Japanese Cracker Mix- Random mix of foods but cute!

Onto the real thing:

Nimono (Stewed Vegetables and Hard Boiled Eggs)


Sushi Rolls from Fuji Mart (Futo Maki, Spicy Tuna, Spicy Yellowtail, Cucumber, California, Eel Avocado, Salmon Avocado)


Chinese Greens Sauteed with Bacon with Chicken Sauce (A very vague description because my mom had no idea what the greens are called, and the sauce is this thick sauce with Edamame and Chicken... I think my mom came up with the dish!)


Tonkatsu with Shredded Cabbage (Pork Cutlets... so damn good right outta the fryer!)


Chawanmushi with Crab Sauce (Steamed egg custard... there was a little shrimp hiding at the bottom! This is one of my all time favorite traditional Japanese dishes!)

After we ate until we were about the vomit, the desserts were ready to be eaten!


Strawberry-Rhubarb-Raspberry Crisp (Homemade by Mary Kate!) So delicious... and the Rhubarbs are from her garden!

and... of course a birthday is never complete without a cake from Lulu's...

How gorgeous is the cake?! It was just as delicious too! I went in there yesterday, totally last minute, and I asked them to make me a cake for today. Jay graciously accepted and I didn't have to "order" anything. He asked "6 inch cake?" I said "Yep". He asked "Chocolate or vanilla?" I said, "Eh, let's go vanilla" and Boom! I left the rest to him...Here it is! A Yellow Cake with Lemon Curd and Strawberry Buttercream! Heavenly.... Lulu's still keeps it real with the best shiz arounddddddd!

That was my fabulous Sunday. So grateful to be alive! My 26th year of life will be awesome :-)

No comments: