Background

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Eastchester Has Gourmet!

Eastchester has had gourmet for a while. I can't believe how long Eastchester Fish Gourmet has been open. It just doesn't seem like Eastchester is a great place to have a restaurant. I like to consider EFG one of Westchester's consistently good places to eat out. It's one of my favs!

I hear on Chowhound how some people really don't like EFG. That's fine. But I just don't see how you can't like it! After dining there many times for casual lunches, anniversary celebrations, birthdays, and just good ol' mom and me dinner time, I can say that I've only had one dish that I didn't like... The Squid Ink pasta. I can say that I've enjoyed every single raw oyster, salad, soup, sandwich, and fish I've ever ordered. Plus, our waiter is hilarious. I don't really know his name but he's worked there for a while. He's tall. He's funny. He's got a moustache, I think.

This past Saturday, I went there with my mom for a random dinner date. Actually, we first went to the newly opened CHAT in Scarsdale, but of course the hostess said that the wait would be "over an hour". So what's our next choice? Obvi, EFG.

I was surprised to see that EFG was absolutely PACKED... I guess it was 7:30 on a Saturday, but still! We're in a recession and people are supposed to be cooking more at home! Anyways, since it was only the two of us, we didn't have to wait.

We went with our usual... first round= raw oysters and clams. Second round= Beet Salad (we always get this salad... we're obsessed with beets, and this salad is so good!). Third round= Fish. Fourth round= Dessert.

Before we get started on the food pictures, I just want to say that my experience at EFG was highlighted by the presence of Lisa and Chuck, who sat at the table next to us! They were one of the friendliest diners ever! I love it when people are enthusiastic about recommending food and talking about food, and this is exactly what Lisa and Chuck did for my mom and I! They even let me take a picture of their Grand Marnier Souffle!

Thanks!

Ok so back to our meal (I totally intruded on theirs!)...

For Oysters and Clams, we went with Peeky Toe, Kumamoto and Little Neck (Respectively)




Our Favorite Salad: Roasted Beet Salad with aby arugula, frisee, walnuts, Coach Farm goat cheese and Dijon mustard vinaigrette


My mom went with the Lobster


And I went with something new... Parmesan Encrusted Cod over sautéed spinach, tomato, and asparagus with vegetable nage


And for dessert, we always try to get something new: this time it was the Old Fashioned Sundae with banana walnut praline ice cream, fresh fruit, chocolate sauce and toasted nuts... and they split it for us into two parfait cups!


Eastchester Fish Gourmet
837 White Plains Rd.
Scarsdale, N.Y. 10583
Phone: (914)-725-3450
Fax: (914)-725-8401

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog on EFG brought back some great memories for me. My mom, now deceased, and I used to also go there together for dinner. We both love fish and this place never disappoints. A bit pricey, but we always thought we were worth it!

Miki said...

Yeah, i trust that my (mom's) money will be well spent! hahah