Background

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wagashi

Minamoto Kitchoan is a little store in Manhattan that sells Japanese desserts called Wagashi. Wagashi are the typical sweets that are served with tea. The ones that they sell at Minamoto Kitchoan are beauuuuuuuuutiful. You kinda don't wanna eat them... but since I know how delish they are, I couldn't resist!

My mom, this past weekend, stayed in Manahattan for the weekend for some kinda international dance showcase. Of course, having that natural Japanese tourist gene in her, she had to go do all the "hot spots" around Fifth Ave.

She came home with a variety of cute goods from Kitchoan...

The first one I tried was this pancake looking thing filled with red bean.

JIC you were interested in the ingredients and nutrition:

As I bit into my half (I did halfsies with mom), I got really excited because they was a boom flavor of YUZU!


My mom also had this square surprise:

Ingredients (it has a chestnut in it!) and nutrition:

So pretty...


The next night, I tried this cute bulbous shaped one:

I saw "Ringo" which means apple, so I was totally in...

It was twisted up into the little foil package!

Absolutely delish.... it was like an apple flavored anko (red bean paste)...


On our final night, my mom and I tried what we thought was the Grande Finale...

Are they all called "Bean Cake"?

We didn't know what to expect, but once we opened the wrapping, we came to this weird bulbous thing in a paper "plate"...

So we cut it open and were surprised to see that this "dried persimmon" was filled with anko!

It was an anti-climactic experience though... there was no kick to this piece.

I've been to Minamoto Kitchoan before and it's a beautiful little place. You will be memorized by all the perfect little creations.


Minamoto Kitchoan
608 5th Ave (btw 48th St & 49th St)
New York, NY 10020
Phone: (212)-489-3747

No comments: