Background

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kyo-Ya

My second time... just as good as the first time!

Kyo-Ya is a Japanese restaurant that really takes pride in using extremely seasonal ingredients. From their vegetables to their fish which a lot of times is flown in from Japan that day, every day their daily special revolve around what they "caught" that day.

The vibe of the restaurant is so chill. Its asian-loungey fusion. Haha if that makes sense. There is a sushi bar type area and theres also tables and a Japanese style sitting room. They play jazz.

The food is just so fresh. You can taste the freshness in every bite. The flavors are unique and the chef really exaggerates the importance of each flavor in a dish.

Last night, my mom and I tried a few new dishes:

1. Uni and Scallop Shiokara


2. Poached Shirako in Ponzu with Scallions and Momiji Oroshi


3. Sashimi: Katsuo, Uni, Shima-Aji, Hirame, Engawa, Saba


4. Self-Grilled Matsutake and Yamaimo with Satoimo and Ohitashi


5. Dashimaki Tamago


6. Agedashi Anago and Tofu


7. Matsutake, Chicken, and Mitsuba Takikomi Gohan


8. Kuromame Anmitsu


My favorite was the Shirako (its cod sperm... yum!)... it was my first time having Shirako, and it reminded me of Ankimo and Foie Gras and other liver type, rich tasting foods. Apparently, it is also Matsutake season! I have had Uni at Kyo-Ya before and I loved it! This time was no different... it was sweet, rich, and creamy.

Other memorable dishes that I had last time that I would recommend are definitely the Ebi Shinjo (Shrimp Mousse Balls) and Sweet Potato Tempura.

Kyo-Ya (Menupages)
94 E 7th St (@ 1st Ave)
New York, NY 10079
Phone: 212-982-4140

No comments: