Background

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Persimmon White Chocolate Bread Pudding

Thanksgiving Dessert.
Crucial! In order for me to have a "happy" Thanksgiving, the dessert needs to be perfecto! And this year? Affirmative.

2 weeks of constant researching for a new, unusual, fresh Thanksgiving dessert landed me here---> Persimmon White Chocolate Bread Pudding from Martha Stewart.

I knew I wanted to use persimmons because I had never baked with them before. And I knew I would end up making a bread pudding because I just love bread pudding! (Just as a side note, if you are a fan of bread pudding and you are not counting calories, you MUST make this Croissant Bread Pudding from Ina!)



For this recipe, I used challah bread instead of brioche.

I got these pretty little Fuyu persimmons from my local Japanese supermarket. They were sweet and juicy!

The white chocolate chips looks so heavenly in the milk :-)

So... another F.Y.I., whenever I make bread pudding, I always make it a day in advance so that the bread can soak up all of the custard mixture! It definitely makes it so moist and perfect!


This was after "assembly" (another thing I love about bread pudding is how easy it is to put together!) Note: It says in the recipe to purée the persimmons but I just mashed it roughly... I like every "rustic" so I left quite big chunks of persimmon in the mixture... the chunks were awesome!


After like 25 minutes in the oven covered with tin foil, I took off the tin foil and baked it for another 20 minutes to crisp up the top, and OMG look at this beauty! The bread pudding rose and puffed so much! And the crust parts of the bread were perfectly crisp while the inside was super moist!


I reserved myself a corner piece... my favorite part of any baked good. You get the best of both worlds; the nice crusty side and the moist inside!!

I loved this! I admit it was incredibly sweet but these are the kinds of desserts that will satisfy you after like 4 bites. So I really enjoyed it!

***Maybe next time though, I would either reduce the total amount of sugar (I cut back to like 3/4 cup when I made this) to like even 1/4 cup. And probably reduce the amount of White Chocolate. White Chocolate is super rich and super sweet so that plus the sugar was a little much!

I just loved the combination of the white chocolate, persimmons, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the hint of lemon!

No comments: