Background

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Momofuku Milk Bar

After seeing pictures on The Wandering Eater's blog, I knew I had to check this place out A.S.A.P.! And for me to make a trip into the city for a bakery means I really want it! I mean, I have Lulu's down the block... and I really doubt anything will beat Lulu's.

So, the Momofuku Milk Bar opened only like a few weeks ago, and it is actually like attached to the Momofuku Ssam Bar. I've only been to the Momofuku Noodle Bar but I've heard a lot of good things about the other places, and I like the whole inventiveness of the Momofuku chains.

Anyways, back to Saturday, me and Ed headed into the city for the Jim Gaffigan show. JIm Gaffigan is maybe one of my favorite comedians in the world... probably because he talks about food all the time haha! HOOOOOOOOOT POCKETS! So, I thought, why not go early to stop in at the new bakery!?



When I got there around 5:45PM, there was no line really. I was just so indecisive about what to get!! Everything sounded so amazing. I actually went in, expecting to order the Chocolate Chip Cake... but they didn't have it!!! So after like 20 minutes of staring at every piece of cake/cookie in there, I decided on the Banana Cake, Cornflake-Marshmallow-Chocolate Chip cookie, and the Compost Cookie...



The Banana Cake. Wow... Huge, smells delicious, overwhelming with a bajillion layers! It's a Banana Cake with Banana Cream,Hazelnut Crunch, topped with Gianduja Fudge.
h.e.a.v.e.n.= hazelnut crunch. The whole combination was just really great.... however, Momofuku ain't got nothin' on Lulu's cakes in terms texture! This cake was moist but could afford to be a little more moist, but the prominent banana (not just sweet) flavor was awesome!



The Cornflake-Marshmallow-Chocolate Chip cookie. Again... Huge! But I fell in love with this cookie just by looking at it. The edges are super thin and crispy. The middle is thick and chewy. The cornflake gives a nice chew to the cookie and so does the marshmallow. This is a really fun cookie, but the flavor of the dough was not my favorite!


The Compost Cookie. I asked the girl at the counter what was in it. And she replied "Everything! It's the cookie lover's dream!" So I was instantly bought! I forgot what she said was in it but here's what I recall: Chocolate chips, coffee, PB chips/Butterscotch chips, cornflake/graham cracker... I think that was it. The coffee flavor was really good but as I said to Ed, it's definitely a party in itself. There's so much going on! I would much prefer a simple, classic, chocolate chip cookie!

Ed loved his C-M-CC cookie, and I loved my banana cake, so we'll definitely return but I'm going back to try the other cakes!

Oh and P.S.- they have their famed Pork Buns and other savory, meal type items!

Momofuku Bakery and Milk Bar
207 2nd Ave (13th St. entrance)
New York, NY 10003

No comments: