Background

Monday, July 20, 2009

Mom's Tomato Soup... The Best Kind + My Avocado Obsession

So, to celebrate my blog's birthday, I will blog about my favorite food... food made by my very own Mommy!

Yesterday, she had a little wine tasting party and she asked her guests to bring one bottle of wine and one dish. My mom made this Tomato Vegetable Soup. So random, because I don't think she ever made a tomato soup when I was growing up!


I wouldn't call this a tomato soup. It is the "Find Every Vegetable, Even Lotus Root and Black Beans" soup. I think she was just too lazy to explain to me what was in it, so she handed me the tupperwear and gave me the "Tomato Soup". Actually, there were still some pieces of shredded chicken too (she usually puts the chicken into stews and soups only for flavor). The other veggies were cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, and onion.

I of course added some hot sauce and sliced avocados. Rich and creamy. The meal was delicious and satisfying.

Which brings me to my next point.

My Current Obsession: Avocados... Kabocha is so last month.


This was a simple dinner I had a few nights ago....
Salmon with Sautéed Japanese Vegetables, Avocados, and Shiso

I simply sautéed the onions, red peppers, tomatoes, corn, and enoki mushrooms with fresh garlic and ginger. I seasoned it with Trader Joe's Lemon-Pepper and dashi powder. The salmon was only salted and peppered. Top it off with chopped shiso leaves and sliced avocados...

An easy, 10 minute, super-delicious dinner. Half-assed cooking is the way to go!

No comments: