Background

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sushi At Home

OMG so extravagant of me! I went all out and bought myself a little container of Ikura (Salmon Roe) at Daido in White Plains. I'm on this avocado kick right now and I've been doing lots of Mexican/Southwestern foods, so I was craving something like a California Roll but a little more jazzed up.

I had some leftover brown rice, so I came up with this Mixed Sushi Rice . It's basically like a fried rice, but more refreshing, served cold, and is meant to be topped with sashimi and all that sushi jazz.

Here's what I did:
1. In a frying pan, I cooked some chopped up onions and shiitake mushrooms with chopped garlic and chopped ginger. Season it with Dashi Stock Powder (just a little bit! Lots of MSG! In Japanese cuisine, they use this ingredient a lot. It just makes everything taste better :-D.) Take it off the heat, and let it cool.
2. I microwaved the leftover rice with Sushi Rice Vinegar (about a tablespoon), only until luke warm, about 20 seconds. (If you are making fresh rice, after the rice is cooked, mix the Rice Vinegar until well incorporated and let it cool.)
3. Mix in the onions and shiitake into the rice.
4. Add chopped up Shiso Leaves and chopped up scallions.




For tonight's dinner, I topped this rice with Ikura and Avocado.


I ate it by making little rolls with Nori (seaweed sheets)! OMG it was one of the best meals I've had at home in a while!

No comments: