Background

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve- The Food

This is me and Ed's second time celebrating Christmas Eve together! We have officially made it our Christmas with the whole sha-bang! We cooked, we ate, and we opened presents!

So the food.... last year, our food theme was Japanese food. This year, we decided we'd do Italian! I wanted to do something more time consuming than boiling spaghetti and making a tomato sauce, so I suggested making ravioli and eggplant parm!

I knew what ravioli recipe I wanted to use. I saw Giada (I LOVE HER) making these ravioli's with wonton/gyoza skins and they looked so pretty and delicate. Here's the recipe...


We actually made two different fillings though. Ed is a meat man, so his ravioli's were filled with lean ground turkey, seasoned with salt and pepper, mixed with mascarpone and parmesan cheese.

Mine was spinach, mushrooms, and the mascarpone and parmesan cheese.

Making the ravioli was the funnest part!

His

Hers


He made his with 2 wonton skins (a more traditional ravioli) while I had to stray and get in touch with my Asian side and shape mine like gyoza!

For the eggplant parm, I used this recipe kind of as a guide, but I totally didn't need it, because well... eggplant parm is simple.


I first put eggplant slices with salt and pepper on a grill pan and put it in the oven (to get the nice grill marks!)


Then I just stacked it with mozzarella cheese, basil, and tomato slices.

Now, the final products!

Turkey Ravioli

Spinach and Mushroom Ravioli

Eggplant Parm

First, the ravioli's were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! When I took my first bite, I thought it was really bland, but then the mascarpone kicked in and it became rich and flavorful! The wonton skins gave the ravioli a light and delicate texture and it was absolutely perfect!

The eggplant parm was also a winner! Not heavy at all, and actually quite refreshing with my made-from-scratch super simple tomato sauce. The tomato sauce was just some canned crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, fresh basil, oregano, thyme, and for me some red pepper flakes!

Here we are totally excited to eat our home-cooked meal!



Just the food itself made this Christmas Eve so complete!

But here come the gifts!

No comments: